Wellington, was anciently known as Walingtone and Welingtone, meaning a village with watery meadows. Other theories are that the name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon ‘weoh’ meaning holy, through ‘weo-leah’ meaning ‘the temple clearing’ or possibly ‘Weola’s clearing’. In 1038 the name was given as Weolintun.
Originally the route into the village was to the north of Bridge House which was a former coaching inn known as the King’s Arms or Bridge Inn built in early Georgian times. The road ran along the causeway by the side of the brook, past Bridge Farm, to join the lane which crosses the brook by the ford next to the Church.
Auberrow is half a mile to the south of the main village, over the Knapp and its name is derived from ‘berrow’, the Anglo-Saxon for a hill or mound and the pre-fix from a personal name. Burghope which lies north of the village at the foot of Dinmore Hill contains Burghope Court, a timber framed house added to in the early 18thC.
Wellington has an active History Society as well as an extensive photographic archive; much more information can be obtained from the Society.